After researching the photographers in Project 2 A durational space, we are asked to take some images to record traces of movement within the frame using slow shutter speed and multiple exposures function inspired by the techniques used by the photographers in Project 2. I chose to take images of the abra’s at the creek as there is a constant supply of them ferrying passengers across the creek to work and shop.
I sat at the edge of the quayside trying not to draw attention to my tripod. My camera was set on shutter priority. For the ‘example of panning’ image I tried sweeping movements with the camera. This image gives the feel of speed. From 1/4 second exposure onwards there is more blur and over exposure. I placed my camera on the tripod and attached a ND32 filter after taking the 1/2 second exposure image, seeing that it was over exposed.
Using the tripod and ND32 filter I was able to achieve longer exposure time and show the movement of the abra on the creek, blurring the abra whilst the background remained in focus. The longer the exposure time the more the abra blurs within the frame. By 4 seconds the exposure shows the water smooth and flat. I haven’t processed these images, I will keep some of these and maybe convert the fast shutter speed images to black and white but in my opinion the blurred images look better in colour to show a distinction between objects.
Images of varying Shutter speed to show movement
Multiple exposure images
Unfortunately my camera does not have the multiple exposure function available on it but I do have Photoshop CS6. My tutor recommended that I start watching photoshop tutorials to improve my knowledge of post processing, so I used Youtube to find a tutorial on how to do multiple exposures using Photoshop CS6. I enjoyed making these images simply because of the amount of decision making involved. I made several images and a few were shockingly bad,looking fake and over processed. I went through my archive and simplified my approach and produced these images. The individual images are linked somehow to the end image. I converted the majority of the Multiple Exposure images to black and white as leaving them in colour added nothing to the image whilst in black and white I adjusted the contrast for a more effective image.
The photographers from Project 2
Geoff Dyer, writer
Note unable to find any information on OCA student Alisdair Gill except a linked in profile.
Multiple Exposure research reference links